VA Sierra Nevada Health Care System
Dedicated Veteran Information and Referral (I&R) Center for Parkinson's Disease
Supporting Veterans, Caregivers, Physicians, Nurses,
and Allied Health Professionals
Mission: The I&R Center, which is a joint affiliation between the VA Sierra Nevada Healthcare System (VASNHCS) and Sierra Veterans Research and Education Foundation (SVREF), is a centralized resource dedicated to supporting and improving the lives of Veterans with Parkinson’s Disease. We also serve the general public, caregivers, allied health professionals, and physicians in Northern Nevada and Northern California who would like additional information.
The Veteran Information and Referral Center provides:
- Free Parkinson’s disease educational literature, booklets and pamphlets
- Support group meetings providing educational topics and a variety of professional speakers
- Information on Parkinson’s disease medications
- Quarterly newsletter with important updates on Parkinson’s disease, treatment, research and medications
- Lending library with up to date books, DVDs, and videos
- Educational seminars for families and health care professionals
- Professional assistance for researching your health questions
- Telephone access to assist patients, caregivers, physicians, nurses and other allied health professionals with inquiries
- Organizational assistance to the Department of Veterans Affairs Medical Centers and Community Based Outpatient Clinics throughout the Northern Nevada and Northeastern California
I&R Center Medical Director:
John H. Peacock, M.D., Ph.D.
I&R Center Coordinator:
Susan Gulas, R.N., M.S.N.
I&R Center Coordinator:
The I&R center provides information and educational materials about Parkinson’s disease, cardinal signs and symptoms, motor and non-motor symptoms, diagnosis and treatment. Exercise, speaking effectively, and nutrition are vital components for maintaining activity, independence and quality of life. A number of booklets and pamphlets are available for mail out and the I&R center also has a lending library of books, DVDs and video tapes.
The I&R center provides information about local support groups and community resources for your area. Just contact us for information.
Support Groups - Click here for schedules and locations of local support groups.
Parkinson's Disease Resources - Click here for additional resources and information about Parkinson's Disease.
Please contact us if you:
- would like to be added to our mailing list to receive a copy of The VA Parkinson Press (our quarterly newsletter),
- have questions about the information on our site,
- want information about support groups in your area,
- want information about accessing the VA,
- would like to borrow a book, DVD or Video,
- have ideas for programs or services.
We can be reached by phone, letter, or fax.
SVREF Veteran Information and Referral Center
for Parkinson's Disease (111)
975 Kirman Ave
Reno, NV 89502-0993
Tel: (775) 328-1715
Toll-Free: (888) 838-6256 ext. 1715
Fax: (775) 784-7951
Email: Susan.Gulas@va.gov or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dedicated Veteran Information and Referral Center
Hours of Operation
- Monday - Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm